"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!"
-Homer J. Simpson

Monday, March 19, 2007

How is the Conservative budget playing with Conservatives?

Or at least the bloging ones?

From The Calvinball Dairies


The 2007 Budget is a complete sell out. I would have nothing good to say about this document if a Liberal government tabled it, and I have nothing good to say about it now. This is a budget without one redeeming feature.

From Sham the Tory Man:

After watching Jim Flaherty deliver the Harper government's second budget lets just say I wanted to reach for the Pepto Bismol since there wasn't anything conservative about it apart from the blue cover (which might as well have been pink).

From A Step to the Right

Well, I’m disappointed with the 2007 Federal Budget. I really had my hopes up for an income tax split cut, but I guess I’ll have to wait at least another year for that.

From Proud to be Canadian

I’ve heard a Mr. Flaherty deliver a budget for the past while, but I heard the Conservatives were going to spit one out today. Still waiting.

From Political Staples

The highest spending government in the history of Canada and three parties to the left of that party. That's how Andrew Coyne characterized the budget on an ad hoc edition of the At Issue Panel.

From Kerplonka!

I guess you could sum up my reaction in the word "underwhelmed". The fundamental problem is that Harper's trying to be all things to all people, trying to do too much with too little.

From The Politic.com

An unconservative, election-ready budget. I’ll be forgiving, because I don’t want to see a Liberal government in a month, but this had better not be a pattern. Seven percent increases in spending are appalling, and not what I expect from this government.

From BC Tory

As far as this budget goes, it's great for politics, but not for policy. It's a safe, centrist budget that is designed to woo voters, but, as far as the Conservative base goes, it leaves a sour taste in their mouth. It may gain votes, but it lacks the one thing I've long clamoured for in this budget: some delicious fiscal conservatism. I've got the napkin on my lap, fork and knife in hand, and it seems as if I will go home starving. Quite a sad state of affairs.

From Wundrick Blog

And now word comes that the NDP and Liberals are going to oppose it anyway. Good grief - if that's the case, I certainly hope it's because they think we're spending too much.

And - saving the best comment for last, From Kerplonka! (Again)

"What's our next step? Start the Reform Party?"

Geeze, with this kind of endorsement, maybe I will have to change my mind and support the budget.

Update: Not just Tories are pissed off at the budget